APR’s pulp sourcing policy is in line with the RGE’s Sustainability Framework and with APRIL Group’s Sustainable Forest Management Policy 2.0, both released in 2015. This draft policy is effective from June 1, 2018 (final version will be finalized in October 2018 following stakeholder consultation) and requires our sourcing partners to comply with the following principles:
- 100% sustainably sourced dissolving pulp
- Sources from certified plantations, following internationally recognized certification standards such as PEFC, FSC or equivalent.
- No deforestation, no new development on peat
- Legally harvested
- No conversion of high conservation value (HCV) and high carbon stock (HCS) areas.
- Active protection of all HCV and HCS identified areas*
- No new development on peat
- No burning and the promotion of fire prevention initiatives with communities
- Protection of indigenous communities and workers, including contract workers
- Respect the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, national laws and ratified international treaties on human rights
- Respect the rights of indigenous peoples and communities to give or withhold their Free, Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC) to operate on lands where they hold legal, communal or customary rights prior to commencing any new operations
- Adopt the International Labour Organization’s Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at work
- Implement an open, consultative and timely grievance and conflict resolution mechanism
- Apply zero tolerance of the use of violence
- Promote gender equality and diversity inclusion
- Continuous improvement
- Apply sustainable forest management practices based on global standards across all production and protection areas
- Implementation of forest conservation and ecosystem restoration within landscapes associated with our sourcing
- Commit to GHG emissions reduction targets
- Implement supply chain traceability to all sourcing mills and associated concessions
We uphold and adopt the principle of No Deforestation and only source wood fibre from sustainably managed plantations and forests. Beyond this, we are committed to the transparency of our supply chain.