APR: Doing Good for the Community, Good for the Country in This Challenging Time of Urgent Need
In this unprecedented time bought about by the COVID-19 pandemic and the disruptions to global businesses impacting countries, communities, our customers and our staff, Asia Pacific Rayon is also doing its part. Here, we highlight all the essential steps we have taken in our operations, the support we are bringing to impacted communities and the services in support of the countries where we operate.
The health, safety and well-being of all our employees, contractors and their families are our highest priority.
“We have implemented business continuity plans across all of our offices, and we are taking all steps necessary to protect the health of individuals, including temperature screening, remote working and restrictions on travel both to and from our operations,” said Ben Poon, Business Head of APR. “The advantage of having fully-integrated operations, with dissolving pulp and viscose production co-located on the same complex, ensures minimal impact of COVID-19 on our day-to-day operations and ensures that we can continue to service our customers and safely deliver our products in all of the key markets.”
- In the complex around our mill operations, we have enforced safe-distancing measures and are ensuring that employees observe personal hygiene to prevent the occurrence and spread of COVID-19. Screening with thermal scanners or thermometers is installed at all entry points into the complex and offices. We have also activated a 24-hour hotline service. The management is working to ensure the availability of basic services and amenities within the complex and have restricted the entry of visitors. Informative posters and advisories are also displayed at various parts of our operations, reminding staff and the community of safe and responsible practices.
- The schools within our complex have been teaching classes online using a combination of technology and creativity, so the kids can continue their education while staying safe.
- We have a dedicated medical team in the complex working hard to keep our community safe. They ensure our employees and their families are healthy during this period, and vitamins have been distributed to our staff to help boost their immune systems.
Partnering alongside provincial and district health officials in support of frontline efforts to combat the spread of COVID-19
Together with APRIL, we are coordinating efforts at the provincial and district levels.
- We distributed 165 hygiene kits consisting of hand sanitizer, hand soap and educational materials to Maternal and Child Centres, places of worship and other public facilities in local communities around our area of operations.
- We helped the local authorities disinfect public spaces in our surrounding communities and around our area of operations, and provided 32,000 litres of disinfectant.
- APR donated 15,000 PPE gowns, 150,000 medical face masks and surgical gloves, and 450 surgical goggles to Riau’s COVID-19 taskforce team, led by Riau’s Governor, Mr Syamsuar.
“On behalf of the Riau Task Force, we would like to thank Riau Andalan Pulp and Paper and Asia Pacific Rayon for their valuable support, donating PPE, face masks and other supplies at this urgent time of need. These materials are being used by our health workers who are working to test and treat patients in several hospitals throughout the Riau province,” Mr Syamsuar said in his speech.
With collective preparedness and precaution, we hope our communities will remain united and resilient in the face of this challenge.
RGE group of companies resolve to bring the urgent needed medical supplies to medical staff fighting on the front lines in Indonesia.
In Indonesia, APR and other business groups of RGE partnered with Tanoto Foundation to donate 1 million medical masks, 1 million surgical gloves, 100,000 protective gowns (PPE) and 3,000 surgical goggles to The National Agency for Disaster Countermeasure (BNPB). The equipment was delivered in three batches via chartered flights from China to Indonesia. The last shipment came in on 13 April 2020 via a chartered Garuda Indonesia Boeing 777-300ER.
“Garuda Indonesia would like to thank the Tanoto Foundation for collaborating on this humanitarian mission to deal with the COVID 19 crises in Indonesia,” said Irfan Setia Putra, Garuda Indonesia CEO.
“Tanoto Foundation has brought assistance (PPE and masks) from China to assist our front guard in fighting COVID-19 in Indonesia. Thank you Tanoto Foundation and the RGE Group for working with BNPB to distribute the needed assistance to the front-line medical staff,” added Mr Djauhari Oratmanfun, the Indonesian Ambassador to China.
In Singapore, we donated 1 million medical masks to The Courage Fund which assists individuals at high risk of viral infection, and more than 100 RGE staff participated in #BYOBclean, an ambitious project to distribute free hand sanitiser to every household in Singapore.
These pictures are snapshots of APR’s efforts to support and maintain resiliency in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic. We are united and humbled in our fight to save lives and support the front line efforts to stop the spread of this pandemic. Together we are stronger; together, we are united